Migraines: Healing Your Headaches From the Inside Out

on Thursday, December 20, 2012

I know migraines. They impacted my life for about 30 years and there were periods of time when I had them daily. It is amazing that I was able to build a career, raise a wonderful son, or even function at all. Painful headaches affected my relationships and kept me from participating fully in life. They shaped my personality and how I see myself and the world. They prevented me from being who I was meant to be and living my best life. If you are reading this, you probably know what I mean.


Today, I am migraine and medication free. I went on a journey of self-discovery and healing that allowed me to explore opportunities for letting go of the pain and improving my life and well-being. I learned that the real key to healing my headaches was healing my life.


Here are a few of the things I learned along the way:


What you think and believe about migraines can actually trigger them:


• My headaches are hereditary so I am destined to have them.


• My headaches are more powerful than I am.


• There is something wrong with me.


• I must deserve migraines if God gave them to me.


• I am a bad mom because of my migraines.


• I can't live a full life because of my migraines.


When you think thoughts like these you are more likely to accept pain as your natural state or what you deserve. Thoughts create energy in your body and can cause your body to tighten, clench, and contribute to physical pain and migraine triggers.


It is important to question your thoughts and beliefs by asking if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt they are true. Realize that you control your thoughts and shift them to something more positive like gratitude or someone you love.


Hyper-vigilance is a symptom of migraines that can actually contribute to them.


We are told that when we get the first sign of a migraine we have to act fast or suffer the consequences. This creates a mindset of always being on alert, anticipating pain. Your thoughts and physical body are greatly affected by this state and react with tightness and fear that can bring about exactly what you are trying to avoid.


When we focus on pain our world is pain. Focus instead on self-nurturing and creating a happy, healthy lifestyle. Relax and look forward to your pain free days. When a migraine starts, stay calm and take steps that will support your body. When you look at it as taking good care of yourself instead of reacting out of fear, you can feel more relaxed and positive.


Your mind is a powerful tool in becoming migraine free:


Setting intentions, shifting to a positive mindset, and visualizations are just some of the ways you can use your mind for healing headaches. There are also many mental exercises that can provide relief. Here is one of my favorite ones:


The Beat of Your Heart Exercise: Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. When you are relaxed focus on the beating of your heart and then slow it down. After a few minutes focus on your fingertips and start feeling your heartbeat there. In most cases the flow of blood will be drawn to your finger tips and the headache pain will ease up.


The benefit of exercises like this is twofold. One - pain relief. Two - realizing that you have more control over the headaches than you think.


Healing migraines may be possible for you, as it was for me. I encourage you to continue to work with your medical practitioners and also to consider that there may be additional things you can do to heal your headaches from the inside out.


Life Coach - Linda Luke has been supporting clients in creating more peaceful and happy lives since 2003. She has multiple coaching certifications and is a graduate of a Master's Program in Spiritual Psychology.


To learn more about programs or coaching that supports healing migraines, contact Linda or go to: http://lifecoachlinda.com/Freedom_from_Migraines.html


You can connect with her or request a free consultation by emailing: lifecoachlinda@gmail.com


You may also enjoy her blog: http://lifecoachlinda.wordpress.com/

Ranking: 5

{ 0 312 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment

 
© Headache Migraine All Rights Reserved